I am a quitter.

 

I am a quitter.

The benefits of being a quitter, a bold quitter

Denzil Jayasinghe
3 min read·1 hour ago

Ihave a habit of quitting things that don’t work for me. I learned this from a young age when I left home at eleven to escape my mentally ill grandmother. I went to a boarding school, hoping to become a clergyman, but I hated it there too. So, I quit again and came back home when I was fifteen.

In high school, I challenged myself to do things that scared me. I made friends with different people, applied for a scholarship in the US, and almost got it. But I also quit things that bored me, like chemistry and physics. I dropped out of high school and studied accounting at a private university. But I felt out of place there, surrounded by wealthy and older students. So, I quit again, thanks to my father, who got me an apprenticeship in an international telecommunication company.

But I was not happy there either. I rebelled against the system that was unfair to young and bold people like me. So, I quit again and moved to Dubai to work in a hotel. But quitting was in my blood by then. Within four months, I got another job offer from a bank in Dubai. So, I quit the hotel and joined the bank.

After fifteen years in Dubai, I quit again and moved to Australia with my wife and three kids. Quitting has been my way of life, and I don’t regret it. It has helped me overcome my fears and try new things. I still do that today, even in my sixties. I work out regularly, change jobs frequently, and take risks boldly.

I have worked in about fifteen companies in different industries: telecommunication, hospitality, banking, entertainment, energy, wealth management, FMG and in diverse roles. In some companies, I have done eight different jobs within a timespan of ten years. In my career, I have done about fifty different jobs. Quitting has allowed me to explore new opportunities and learn new skills.

One of the most satisfying moments of my life was when I quit a job seven weeks into it for a better one. It was during the GFC, and jobs were scarce. I took the first job that came my way but soon realised that I was underpaid and unhappy. Then, a rival bank offered me a 50% more salary. So, I quit the first job without hesitation, even though they tried to match the offer. I knew that if I stayed, they would never trust me again.

Quitting is not always easy or wise, but it has worked for me. It has made me who I am today: a quitter who is not afraid of change.

I have always been a quitter, and I am proud of it. I don’t stick to jobs that get bored after a short while. I don’t stay in places that don’t excite me. I don’t cling to people that don’t love me. The only thing I never quit is my inner circle. My parents, siblings, four kids, my close relatives and friends from school and teenage years. They are my anchor, my support, my joy.

Quitting has allowed me to live my life on my terms.

Quitting is a sign of strength, not weakness.

Subscribe to my stories https://djayasi.medium.com/subscribe.

Images belong to the original copyright owners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyril Stanley

My experiences of rebellions

Arya Sinhala