Everyday into art

 

Everyday into art

How I Express Myself Through Art

Denzil Jayasinghe
3 min read·Just now

Ilove to draw, but drawing is not the only way to express myself. Sometimes, I take photos of what I see and write about my feelings. When I see something that catches my eye, I approach it and try to capture its essence. This is how I see life and how I live it. Art is also listening to music and watching cool movies.

Art is everywhere. Everything I use, everything I wear, everything I do is art. My notebook, my writing, my work journal. The way I arrange my backgrounds and widgets on my devices. Even boiling an egg is an art. Everything I have, everything I choose, and everything I appreciate is art. It is the act of noticing, and the decision of selecting that interests me.

When something interests me, I stop and look at it carefully. I take a picture or make a note with Siri. I want to remember that moment or create something new from it. It can be anything, ordinary or extraordinary.

The other day, I found dried leaves from a gum tree on the footpath. I felt compelled to pick them up and examine them. I didn’t need to know why I brought them home and put them in a glass bottle. They have been in my house for a while now.

On a recent trip to Port Macquarie, I saw some kangaroos. They seemed to be watching me as much as I was watching them. I felt mesmerised by their eyes. I was curious about how they perceived me. The whole thing was like a vast mosaic, green spaces and these brown animals looking at me with watchful eyes.

I have been walking the same streets in my neighbourhood for the last three years during breaks from working from home. I don’t visit bookstores, music stores, or museums because none are nearby. But every day, I discover something new. It could be the shape of a tree or a flower or kids playing soccer in the park.

When I walk, I admire the Blue Mountains in the distance. They look like the blue sky hugs them. I notice how the houses end with a view of the mountains above them. When I walk, I have the freedom to stop whenever I want.

I have always loved to draw. I have drawn everything, from landscapes to people, from buildings to nudes. Drawing is not the only way I express myself. I also like to write. They let me explore new things.

Everything I see and do is a piece of art.

Subscribe to my stories https://djayasi.medium.com/subscribe.

Images belong to the original copyright owners.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyril Stanley

My experiences of rebellions

Arya Sinhala