The 122 to Angoda
The 122 to Angoda
In the early sixties, Ceylon, a nine-year-old child accompanies his mother on two buses to Angoda, the island’s only mental hospital. Each Saturday, the mother rises before dawn to cook and sew for the grandmother the boy barely knew — a woman institutionalised for twenty-two years not for madness, but for a misdiagnosed thyroid condition. It is a quiet chronicle of absolute devotion, inherited grief, and love measured in bus fares and hand-stitched gowns.
Itwould have been 1964. I was nine, my sister five, and my little brother just one. On Saturday mornings, my mother would rise before the rest of us, while the house was still dark and the geckos were still clicking on the walls. I would hear her in the kitchen, the clatter of the aluminium pots, the hiss of the kerosene stove. She was cooking a meal for her mother. A meal for a woman she had not truly known as a mother for twenty-two years.
My grandmother was in Angoda. Angoda. The name alone was enough to stop a conversation in its tracks. To be sent to Angoda was to be sent to madness itself. Angoda was synonymous with the mentally sick, the broken, the ones society had folded away. Go to Angoda, they would say in jest, and the jest would land like a slap. My grandmother had been there since 1942, when my mother was hardly eight and her younger sister just three. A mental sickness, they called it. But it was never a mental sickness. It was a thyroid deficiency, a chemical whisper in her blood that had erupted through her mind. Did you know that? I did not know that then. Nobody in the old country knew it then. I was nine. I only knew that my mother’s mother lived in the only mental hospital in Sri Lanka, and that my mother carried this knowledge like a stone in her chest.
By 1964, twenty-two years later, my mother had become the family matriarch. She was thirty years old, and she had decided to take over the care of her mother. I do not know if this was love or guilt or some tangled thread of both. Perhaps it was the guilt of having grown up while her mother had not. Perhaps it was the guilt of having become a wife and a mother herself while her own mother remained locked in a ward, wearing hospital gowns, eating hospital food. Whatever it was, it drove her to rise early on Saturdays and cook.
Weeks before each visit, she would buy material from the shops in Pettah, cotton prints in faded florals, and she would sit under the dim light of the Petromax lamp, stitching a new house gown for her mother. I would watch her fingers work the needle, the thread pulled tight, her brow furrowed in concentration. She never used a sewing machine for this. It was all by hand, each stitch a small act of penance, or perhaps of hope. Amma, I would say, can I help? And she would shake her head and tell me to go play, but her voice was soft, distracted, already on the bus to Angoda.
I was the eldest. Obviously, she would get me to accompany her. My sister was too young, my brother barely walking. So it was me, the nine-year-old witness, the one who would hold the tiffin carrier and the bag with the new gown, who would sit beside her on the hard metal bus seats and feel the heat of her anxiety radiating like fever.
We would leave the house while the morning was still cool, while the breadfruit leaves were heavy with dew. The first bus was the 132. I remember the number because my mother would say it under her breath like a prayer, one-three-two, one-three-two, as we walked to the halt. The bus would arrive in a cloud of diesel smoke, the conductor hanging off the side, his shirt unbuttoned to the chest. We would climb aboard, me first and then my mother, the tiffin carrier clutched between us. The seats were cracked vinyl, sticky in the humidity. I would press my face to the window and watch the houses thin out, the village giving way to scrubland and paddy fields.
At Urugodawatta junction, we would change. The 122. I remember this too. The bus to Angoda. The bus that everyone knew was the bus to the madhouse. I would feel the eyes of the other passengers on us, curious, pitying, sometimes cruel. Angoda, the conductor would call out, and his voice would carry a weight, a knowing. My mother would sit straighter, her jaw set. She would not look at anyone. She would look straight ahead, at the road narrowing into the country that had swallowed her mother.
The hospital loomed behind a wall, grey and sprawling, surrounded by jackfruit trees and silence. The gates would creak as we pushed through. Inside, the corridors smelled of phenol and old rice, of urine and despair. My mother would walk faster now, her slippers slapping against the concrete, and I would have to half-run to keep up. The gown in the bag, the food in the carrier, the guilt in her heart – all of it propelling her forward.
I do not remember much of my grandmother from those visits. I remember a poor old woman in the hospital cafeteria, her hair cropped short, her eyes both vacant and searching. An attendant watching over us. I remember my mother feeding her with her own hands, the way she would wipe her chin with the edge of her sari. I remember the sound of my mother’s voice, low and tender, speaking words I could not hear, words meant only for a mother who could not fully receive them.
On the bus back, the 122 to the 132, my mother would be quiet. She would stare out at the passing landscape, her hands folded in her lap, and I would watch her profile, the way her throat moved when she swallowed. She never cried on those buses. Not once. She would wait until we were home, until the night had fallen and my sister and brother were asleep, and then I would hear her, muffled into her pillow, the matriarch who had tried to mend what twenty-two years of institutionalisation had broken.
I was nine. I did not understand thyroid deficiencies or the architecture of grief. I only understood that my mother got up early on Saturdays, that she cooked and sewed and rode two buses to a place nobody wanted to go, and that she did it because somewhere in the maze of her own mind, she was still eight years old, watching her mother being taken away.

Comments
Post a Comment